Staying Positive during a Challenging Time
I know, I know. You’re wondering, “How can I feel sexy, spirited and strong during this era of uncertainty and change?” I’m right there with you, sister. With people losing their jobs, homes and stability, it’s easy to slip into a state of fear and hopelessness. I advise you to keep in mind that this is a powerful time of transformation on the planet. Upheaval is part of the process, and just because the old way of life is changing, it doesn’t mean that life still isn’t good. In fact, it’s better than ever, because it’s a time when we can stretch our creative minds and begin to cultivate lives that we wish to live. This is a very auspicious time for planting seeds for future harvests, and I humbly recommend that as you plot your path to keep yourself secure with work, that you also explore your soul to discover those things you’d like to bring forth to the planet – either now or in the far-reaching future – and begin to nurture those seeds, as well. As with every other era of economic upheaval, this too shall pass, and an upswing is on the way.
Even if you’ve been laid off, resist moving into a state of fear and helplessness. Do what you need to do to make the money you need to survive, even if it means reducing your lifestyle and moving into a less expensive situation (if it makes financial sense), but everyday take a step to nourish your soul with uplifting and useful information, soul exploration and communication with a Higher Power. Here are the things that I find to be helpful:
- Read books, magazines and other information that will help you feel empowered and in control of your life. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill is a book that uplifts, inspires and every page with every page, and provides the secrets to success. He cites dozens of people who became millionaires during the Great Depression, which can provide us hope during time of much greater economic stability. The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity by Catherine Ponder is another ‘must read’ for financial control and establishing a positive mind-set.
- Be proactive and get as much information as you can about your specialty, and strive to get on top of your professional game. Read industry magazines, take classes and seminars, and talk with others in your industry. Network in your chosen field(s). Attend conventions, expos, meetings, etc. Meet your future collaborators. This is a great time to learn from others, share what you know and provide mutual support. Consider this as part of your job, even if you aren’t getting paid for it, and even if you don’t have a job. This will make you feel productive and truly does plant seeds for the future.
- Tap into general networking organizations. There are several organizations with a mission to education and empower women in the work world (most of us), and offer networking meetings and low-cost educational seminars, as well as free on-line information and support. Two great organizations that I’ve investigated are Savor the Success (http://www.savorthesuccess.com) and Women’s Leadership Exchange (www.womensleadershipexchange.com).
- Devote time to your dreams. Even if your job has ended and you’re pounding the streets for more work, devote time every week to your life’s mission and passion. It is critical for you to identify with who you really are inside, rather than just who you are in the workforce. With the world transforming the way it is, it may very well be ready for your unique offerings in the future. Your passion will actually help the planet become a healthier, more beautiful and happier place!
- Stay healthy. While the economy and many other aspects of your life may seem to be out of control, your body isn’t. Devote attention to your health, and consume the most nutritional food possible, and exercise as much as you can. Not only will look and feel energized, but you’ll feel really good about yourself and feel more in-control of your life overall. You’ll radiate a positive vibration to those around you, and they’ll see you as someone who is committed and disciplined to creating an optimal life.
- Keep unwavering faith that you’ll move through this. This era will stabilize, as every transitional period does. We’ve weathered many up and down economies through the years and this is no different. Pray and mediate for guidance. Take notes and and/or journal on what you hear and what your soul wants to say. Take action on what you learn.
These are but a few things that will help you slay fear and instill positive energy. Yes, our world is transforming, and with your unique talents, you can become one of the stewards of change. And yes, you can be sexy, spirited and strong through it all!